WELCOME to my blog!!

It has been approximately 2 years since I regularly updated, but recently I began missing my blogging. I have gone against "the rules of blogging" by simply naming my blog "Bridget's Ramblings". It goes against the rules because you are supposed to choose one topic that you are passionate about and write about it. Well, it just so happens that I become passionate about anything that piques my interest at any given point in time. My husband once told me my hobby is finding new hobbies.....I can't deny it!! However, I will say that my kids--currently ages 11, 8, 6, and 4--will always be a major topic you can expect to read about. Beyond the kids, my current secondary interests include running and biking....gardening will most likely be the next topic to grab my attention. But, the one thing you can count on is that I will undoubtedly ramble on about whatever I find interesting.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Monday, Sept 17

WOW! Typing the date just reminded me that my baby will be 1 yr old in just 2 days!! I remember by this time last year I was crying because I was seriously beginning to doubt the child would ever decide to be born! I still think there should be a law that a 4th baby cannot be a week overdue! But, he did come out and an entire year has almost gone by.

Every Monday Kaeli brings home all her tests from Friday. Today I was looking through her folder and she started "warning" before I got to her reading comprehension test. She's telling me how she's embarrassed about it and that she didn't do as well as she thought. She was disappointed because she tried her very best and only got a 99! I know I shouldn't have, but I really couldn't help but laugh. After we talked about it, she seemed to feel much better about her 99. Oh, and was very excited to tell me she was "reader of the day" during library today. The librarian chooses one student each week based on good behavior. Kaeli's very excited now because she explained to me that being chosen as "reader of the day" increases your chances of being chosen as "student of the week" on Friday. Maybe I need to implement "kid of the week" in our house! I can't even imagine how sugary sweet Kaeli is being at school this week. I hope she gets chosen this time. It really means alot to her.

All last week we had a significant amount of trouble getting Paige to go to school. The guidance counselor had to literally drag her into school kicking and screaming. But, I'm so very happy to report that she went into school today without shedding a single tear. She just asked me for a hug and walked off. I was very proud! But, I talked to her teacher this afternoon and heard that Paige clung very hard to Kaeli when she got to the classroom. We're just going stay the course and hope this plays itself out. At least today was a big step in the right direction. Her teacher gives out tickets for good behavior. Then the kids can trade the tickets in for various prizes. Paige has been saving her tickets since school started. She didn't know what she was saving them for, but she didn't want to use them. Today I found out she finally used them. Her teacher was laughing because she said she had to pull out the really good prize box to entice Paige into finally trading in some of her tickets. She had a ton of tickets saved up by now because the ohter kids trade theirs in on a regular basis. What did it take to entice Paige into finally trading in her tickets? 2 beautiful, sparkling gumball rings. :)

Ryan started group therapy today. This is going to be a really good transition for him to preschool. There are only 4 kids and 4 therapists, so each child gets lots of one on one attention. The therapists also work to keep each child involved in the activities. I was so proud of Ryan today because he did not cling to me AT ALL! His speech therapist (Heather) was there, so he walked off with her and didn't seem to mind at all. That was a big step for him! I was so proud of him today! He's looking like such a big boy now! He also had his first dentist appt today. He's been pointing inside his mouth and saying "ow" for a while now. I was happy to hear he does not have a cavity.

Ryan had his appt with the developmental pediatrician on Friday. She really didn't have any answers for me right now. Alot of the disorders can't be accurately diagnosed until age 3. She also knew that I had some concerns about AJ, so she went ahead and interacted a little with him. Most likely, AJ will have similar issues as Ryan. She asked me to bring both of them back in 6 mos. Ryan will be 3 and AJ will be about 18 mos. She also referred us to a geneticist. It's her opinion that it would at least be interesting to see if the geneticist comes up with something since both boys seem to have similar developmental paths. Ryan also had an appt at a behavioral clinic at the same hospital an hour after his appt with the dev ped. She came over to that appt to give the team of psychologists some opinions on what she though was going on. She ended up being a GREAT help! The most valuable piece of information I took from the two appts is that I need to slow my speech down for Ryan. I also need to stop using so many words when I talk to him. Since Friday I've been trying to use shorter sentences (preferrably 2-3 words) and it really does seem to make a big difference in how he reacts. She explained that he's probably having a hard time processing too many words at a time. So, he'll respond better when he doesn't have to work so hard to process what I'm saying. I feel a little silly in public when I talk to my 2.5 yr old like a young toddler, but if it works that's just how it will have to be.

No comments:

Empty space until I decide on a use for it